Poppies..Popppppies

Spring has finally sprung here in NY!

The rain and grossness has cleared and the sun is shining. Forecast shows it’s going to rain again, but at least for today – the girls and I can enjoy the spring weather and get out of the house!

This year, I’m set on getting the front of my house under control.  Right now, it’s a mix of bushes and English Ivy.  Not hideous, but definitely not in bloom.  I just want it to look a bit more inviting and colorful.  Less bushes…more flowers!

Speaking of flowers, I’ve been working on the flowers for Nola’s birthday.  Being a Wizard of Oz birthday, naturally, I wanted a lot of poppies!  I didn’t want to pay a ton of money for fresh poppies the day of and I couldn’t find any artificial poppies that seemed cost-effective for just the day.  This lead to finding 2 amazing tutorials.  The first is on Lia Griffith using tissue paper and the second is a YouTube video from Tissue Paper Flowers Holly Craft.  Since I wanted to make a bunch of flowers, I modified both of their tutorials to use streamers instead of crepe paper and tissue paper.  So far, I’ve made 50 poppies and I haven’t even used half the roll of either color!

After making a bunch of poppies from both tutorials, I feel like the Holly Craft version are a bit easier/faster.  It eliminates the step of making a solid center and just goes to the fringe.  It also allows you to just wrap the petals on, instead of gluing each one.  I know I said I was going to give you as many tutorials as I could, but these 2 ladies did an amazing job to begin with!  So, if it’s not broke, don’t fix it!  Well, maybe tweak it a bit…

A few things I did differently/noticed:

  1. The biggest thing is I used streamers instead of tissue paper or crepe paper.  Like I mentioned above, for the amount that I needed to make, this was a more budget friendly way to go. Especially for a 3-year-old’s birthday party!
  2. While doing the Holly Craft version, I found it was a bit difficult to get the petals to stay in place as I was twisting.  I’m not sure if it was the glue I was using or if I was wrapping it to tightly/loosely.  In any case, it took me a bit to get the hang of it and even then I had to really hold the petals in place as I wrapped.
  3. For the Lia Griffith flowers, I felt like the petals weren’t super secure on their own. They didn’t create a “tail” like her tutorial showed to wrap the floral tape around (this might be because of the width of the streamers). I just used my trusty glue gun to glue around the bottoms and secure everything in place.
  4. Once again in the Lia Griffith flowers, I couldn’t find foam balls ANYWHERE!  I just took a square of tracing paper about 2x2in and rolled it into a ball.  This allowed me to skip the wrapping in green tissue paper and go right into the black.  It did it’s job and gave a bit less of an even texture and more of a flower center.

The orange poppy is the Holly Craft while the red is Lia Griffith. The differences are subtle, so choose whichever is easier for you!

The whole project cost less than $10 and I made about 50 or so flowers.  You won’t hear me complaining about that!

The finished centerpieces for the Wizard of Oz party.  Just some mason jars, ribbon, and paper shreds.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s